Project Associate, Bringing Theory to Practice
(In partnership with the Association of American Colleges and Universities)
Position Type: Full-time, with benefits
Deadline to apply: Tuesday, August 1, 2017
Anticipated Start Date: September 5, 2017
Bringing Theory to Practice (BTtoP) is a small, but ambitious higher education project which has enjoyed a 15-year partnership with the leading national association supporting liberal education, the Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U). BTtoP encourages and supports colleges and universities in fulfilling their greater, core purposes as institutions of higher education: learning and discovery, student well-being, civic engagement, and preparation for a meaningful life (including, but not limited to work). In spring/summer 2018, BTtoP will celebrate its 15th year of work and announce a new formal arrangement with a host organization. More information on the Project’s goals, activities, and current team are available on our website: www.bttop.org.
The Project Associate promotes, facilitates, and enhances the general functioning of the Project. The Project Associate collaborates with and supports the BTtoP Team, including the Director, Project Manager, Project Coordinator, Consultants and Senior Scholars, and newly formed Advisory Board. The Project Associate should be able to operate autonomously/semi-autonomously in areas related to correspondence, communications, finance, grants management, publications, editing, event planning, and assistance with adopting a formal relationship with a host organization. The Project Associate has both regular duties and others that arise in relation to specific initiatives.
1. Directly assist the Project team, including:
- document transcription, editing, and production
- calendar/scheduling management
- occasional research
- technical assistance
- general administrative support as needed
2. Serve as principal staff person for general functioning of the Project, including:
- grants administration
- general correspondence and communications, including assisting with tri-annual newsletter, email blasts, and ongoing social media and website maintenance
- record-keeping/database management
- assisting in meetings and events planning; responsible for logistics, correspondence, and on-site management
- managing financial procedures, including tracking budget expenditures and processing vouchers and reimbursements
- publication administration
- occasionally assist the Project team in meeting multiple responsibilities, including helping to manage monthly team meetings, Advisory Board meetings, special projects assistance and attending occasional related events/meetings (travel may be required)*
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Creativity and ability to take initiative.
- Be comfortable in a fast-paced, fluid, high-expectations environment, including: demonstrating superior attention to detail; ability to meet deadlines; ability to manage time effectively; and, ability to anticipate needs of Project overall and of Project personnel.
- Ability to demonstrate experience of meeting multiple responsibilities with modest or infrequent supervision and capable of self-direction when needed.
- Excellent communication, organizational, writing, and research skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Pleasant and professional manner.
- Preferable familiarity with Microsoft Sharepoint or other cloud-based file systems, database software (iMIS), and website CMS (Drupal).
- Interest in higher education and its role in fostering a global future; passion for student learning, community engagement, civic development, and well-being.
- Preference will be given to candidates with at least one year of post-college administrative experience.
*Any work-related travel expenses are covered by the Project.
BTtoP’s office is located within the Association of American Colleges and Universities, 1818 R Street NW, Washington, DC 20009 (1.5 blocks from North exit of DuPont Circle metro station-Red line).
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and write “Project Associate” in the subject line.
BTtoP and AAC&U believe that a broadly diverse staff is critical to achieving excellence as a national higher education association. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We are fully committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with the full range of fair employment practices and non-discrimination laws.